Thursday, January 27, 2011

A Continuation of the Rainbow Cake: The Tie-Dye Cake

In the post on Rainbow Cake, I mentioned that if you layer your colored batter too aggressively, it will swirl instead of layer. On that note, I made a cake with tie-dye technique in mind. I used a boxed White Cake mix, and followed the instructions normally. I split the batter in two bowls and layered them. I chose bright green and pink. Starting with the green on the bottom.
I next mixed the pink food coloring and realized that, for added effect you could add the batter while the color is only partially mixed in. I chose to continue mixing in the color for full saturation, but if I had stopped, it would have looked like this:
Then I added my pink layer, with little finesse. Other than keeping it inside the pan, that is. If you prefer, you can use a toothpick or your spatula to mix the cake batter around, but don't really mix, fold.
Bake according to the box mix directions, and when you're done, it'll look like this:






No comments:

Post a Comment