Tuesday, February 1, 2011

NSFW: Peanut Butter Balls and Chocolate Dipped Bananas

So, at a resounding 13 to 6 vote, I made a "lewd" treat for Single's Awareness Day. That being said, it didn't work out the way I hoped, but was epic tasty. So, I'll be making something else extra NSFW for you folks later.


 
Click for more detail
First let's make some chocolate salty balls, shall we? I used the recipe I found on All Recipes.com We start by using a hand whisk to combine 1 1/2 cups of creamy peanut butter, 1/2 cup (1 stick) of softened butter, 1 tsp of vanilla extract, and 4 cups SIFTED confectioner's sugar. I didn't sift the sugar, and I can tell that I really should have. It would have made the balls perfectly smooth and without tiny lumps, that being said, it didn't effect the taste. When you're half-way through mixing, it'll look like this:
When you're done with mixing, you shouldn't be able to see any clumps of butter. But you see the tiny white clumps, that's the confectioner's sugar that I should have sifted.
Now get your hands extra clean, or find some gloves, and shape some balls! Now, you shouldn't make them too large, because the peanut butter is really rich. Aim for the size of the large "shooter" marbles. Place toothpicks inside and put in the fridge to harden, before dipping them in melted chocolate.
Refrigerate a bunch of bananas so they become firm, but do not freeze them. Peel, and cut in half, then insert popsicle sticks into the ends. Don't insert them too far, as the banana may fall apart, but insert them far enough that they won't fall out under the weight of the banana.
Look at that proper banana grabbing technique. Oh yeah.
Send the bananas back into the fridge to harden some more, before dipping in chocolate. Now dip the peanut butter and the bananas in chocolate. Place 6 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons of shortening in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave 30 seconds, mix around and in 10 second increments after that until fully melted.
For added fun, I covered some of the bananas in chopped nuts, sprinkles, and some mini M&M's.
This is the photo I'm most proud of so far on the blog. Click it to make it big!


Now here's where it all went wrong. The peanut butter balls were TOO HEAVY to stay stuck in the bananas. So they sort fell right out, and the balls were too smooth to keep the toothpicks in place. So, while delicious, not terribly pervy.
See the gap between the balls and shaft?
Of course I couldn't let the leftovers go to waste, so I covered everything in a pile of candy and chocolate. Much joy was had by all.

1 comment:

  1. I hate bananas but my hubby would love me forever for making him these and they do look rather fab, great post. x

    ReplyDelete