Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Celtic Knot Cookies with Tiny Chef Tristan

These bad boys are super cool looking, but did not want to work with me at all. That being said, they taste so good that the recipe itself is so good it's worth sharing. I saw these at Sprinkle Bakes, whom I just adore. I did a couple of the knots, and then just made balls. The added dough made for a moister, softer cookie. Since I had Tiny Chef with me, he wanted to take all the picture! Lol. So, that's what's up with the quality.


This recipe called for "Graham Flour" which I'd never heard of. But hey, they've got to be called graham crackers for a reason. So i looked at the selection at a normal grocery store, just to be sure, and there was none to be found. I went to our local "hippy organic tree hugger" grocery store. Lo and behold, it was there.


It was around three dollars, so pretty cheap for a random ingredient. The recipe begins with sifting 2 cups AP flour, 1 1/2 cup graham flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt together. Add 3 tbsp crushed graham cracker cookie crumbs.



Using an electric mixer, bring 1 cup (2 sticks) of butter to room temperature. Whip until light and fluffy. Add 1 cup of packed brown sugar and beat until light and fluffy again.




Add 1/2 cup of unsulfured molasses and beat until light and fluffy. Add 1 whole egg and 1/2 tsp vanilla. Mix until incorporated.


In thirds, add the flour mixture. Mix on low speed and try not to over mix. Gather the dough into a ball and put in the refrigerator for four hours to, preferably, overnight. I left it in there for a day, and that might be why I had a hard time working with the dough. By this point, Tiny Chef had gone home, so the photos are a bit better.


The hand in the background belongs to my werewolf boyfriend. Jealous? That's right, we both know you are. Lol. Roll the dough out onto a floured surface. You don't need much additional flour to keep the dough from sticking. Basically, play with it like play-dough that decided to be a bitch.






Position the shelf in the middle position and then heat the oven to 350. Bake for anywhere from 8 to 15 minutes. I give such a wide range on this because it depends on the shapes you make.



These cookies taste sort of like gingerbread. Sprinkle Bakes suggests serving them covered in powdered sugar, but I hate adding needless sugar to such a mellow cookie. So, I coved them in peanut butter! It adds to the flavor without overtaking it.

Enjoy, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment