Friday, March 18, 2011

Irish Soda Bread with Whiskey Soaked Raisins

Oh. my. god. This is so tasty I had a hard time not eating the whole thing in one sitting, strait out of the oven. This is so freaking easy to make that I don't think I'll be buying bread in the near future, I'll just make it.


I looked through several recipes to find one that didn't have raisins in it. But I was beaten down by tradition, and  realized that I really can't get away with making Irish Soda Bread without Raisins. So, I compromised. I don't care for raisins unless they've been hydrated, so I chose to get them drunk for St. Patty's.

Put 1/2 cup raisins in a microwave safe bowl, and 2 tbsp Irish whiskey. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for thirty seconds. Let sit on the counter for 10 to 15 minutes.


Grease a 9in X 5in loaf pan. Set aside.


In a bowl, whisk together 2 cup buttermilk, and 1 egg.


Add 3 cups AP flour, 1 tbsp baking powder, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp baking soda, and dump the whole raisin mixture in. Mix until just moistened. Then pour in 1/4 cup melted butter (1/2 a stick) and stir in.



Put in the greased pan and let rest for 30 minutes. This allows the baking soda and powder to work their magic.


Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the thickest part of the bread comes out clean.



Enjoy this deliciousness! Seriously, I'm gonna go make another loaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment