Monday, October 24, 2011

Beer Bread

This is the simplest bread to make and it provides a WORLD of possibilities.

1 (12oz) can or bottle of beer
3 cups self-rising flour
3 tbsp granulated sugar
Grease the vessel, and I recommend adding some Pam or butter to the tops to promote browning.
350 degrees for 15 or so minutes if in a muffin pan, 25 to 30 for a loaf pan or lump on a cookie sheet for a "rustic" loaf (an X cut on the top of the loaf is not necessary).

That's it. Seriously.

I tried Heinekin, Guinness, Strongbow and Blue Moon. All the beer taste basically disappears, which, I'll admit disappointed me. I was hoping for a more BEER bread than beer BREAD. However, I did notice a few things, the lighter, cheaper beers produce a more sugary bread and thus would make good sweets, like cinnamon oatmeal with raisins, etc. But I put chunks of golden delicious apples in the Strongbow batch and the apples held the moisture better and tasted a touch more like cider.



I recommend you play with the recipe to see what you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment